sobota 14. srpna 2021

Color by Accident


Summer time is dyeing time. In last years I tried out rust dyeing and dying in a hot bath, this time I decided to try something I have never done before: working with fibre-reactive dyes.

Surfing the internet I came across the website of the US artist Ann Johnston, who offers not only her book “Color by Accident”, but also a great video course, which I finally bought. I can definitely say, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Ann is a great artist and a great teacher as well. I couldn´t imagine that one would share that much know-how. 



After reading her book and watching her videos I finally felt ready to start.

I actually collected material for dyeing for weeks already. Old bed sheets, table cloths, a few meters of new cotton fabric by Ikea, threads, thread buttons, old laces, old and new ribbons and also some vintage crochet covers and bobbin laces I was able to buy on the market.





I bought four colours of the Procion MX dyes at first, but after reading Ann Johnston’s book I bought five more.

The Sunday afternoon was spent with “alchemy”: urea was dissolved in hot water, then dye powder was added. I also prepared the soda solution. 





I was helped by my dear husband, who not only supported me with advice, but also with his laboratory equipment. All these beakers, small and big, were absolutely helpful! 



He also went through his stash and found some useful bigger containers I could use.
 







I added some plastic dishes from the kitchen.

The whole Monday and Tuesday were full of colour, excitement, amazement and big fun.  At the end of the day, I always was quite exhausted, but happy. 









I had help and technical control all the time:)



I actually tried out only some basic methods, nevertheless, it was an exciting experience. I love my new coloured stash - both the fabrics and the threads. They are so inspiring!












They are not ironed yet because of the enormous heat of the last days, but I´m looking forward to it.


 

Happy stitching

Michaela

 

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat